by Hettie Brittz
October ain’t for sissies! It’s end-of-year functions and examinations, final bits and bobs, rounding off before the concerts and everything in between. Everywhere I hear people complain that they don’t have a single Saturday free till the schools close.
The reality is that October might not be the only hectic month.
It’s difficult not to feel as though the current is sucking us in. We lift up our feet and let the wave have its way.
We forget that our children catch on to our tension easier than they catch a cold!
We are supposed to present them with security during this crazy time, to resist giving in to stress and to demonstrate how priorities can be upheld even when the stream is rushing by!
Don’t get carried away! Put both your feet firmly down if need be, you may even need to start walking upstream!
- Don’t answer yes to everything.
- Cancel the unimportant things.
- Set aside hours, half days or a whole day on your calendar and refuse to fill it up with anything!
- Turn your cell phone off for one night. Don’t even get me started on social media or games!
- Make a list of your values and take a honest look at how you spend your time.
- Make one night a week a readathon or games night to loosen the current’s grip on you and your children.
- And remember to have fun!